Monday, April 20, 2015

Bias Tape Applique: Almost Latte Time

The Have a Latte blog hop is going on now--
My selection from the Have a Latte line
Browse today's posts, as well as the fabulous latte-themed items shown last week, by clicking on links from the schedule of blog hoppers.  (And check back here in just a couple days for my reveal.)

One of the reasons I signed up for this blog hop: to learn a new skill!  I had a long-dormant UFO that I was hoping to accent by using bias tape applique.  Specifically, by writing words in applique.  So why not use one of the Have a Latte line of fabrics to make this bias tape?  Only problem?  I didn't know how to do bias tape applique... yet.

Internet to the rescue: I was helped immensely by Jill Finley of Jillily Studio's video



YouTube link here if the video doesn't play properly.


I assembled my tools: spray starch, brand-new bias tape maker, washable glue stick (not used in the video, but recommended to me by my LQS), and the teeny-tiny bias strips I had cut out
(1/2" + 1/2" + 1/8" = 5/8")


Really, it all went very well.  Even the machine stitching part, which usually is a pain for me to be accurate.  I credit the glue stick for basting that little fabric strip so securely.  Yay!


Here's my sneak peek: Have a Latte fabric (steamy mocha swirls) on the left, and finished applique on the right.

I love learning new things, and am so glad this adventure turned out for me.  Have you done this sort of applique?  What might you use bias tape for in other ways?  I can already think of another project that needs this technique!

No comments:

Post a Comment