Saturday, May 23, 2015

Retreat: what to take with?

I am so distracted lately, can't stay put on one project or one goal, it seems.

I have a quilting retreat coming up the end of this month, so I started thinking about what I might bring along with me to work on.  I always bring too much, because ADD.  Plus, you just never know what you will be in the mood to settle down and work on.

Made a little list: 20 items on it.

Well no wonder I'm distracted.  Sheesh.  Who could concentrate on anything with that much quilty noise clattering around in their head?

Going back to goals has helped me to narrow my focus in the past...
Goal for May - finish 3 home decor items
Goal for year - use up 100 yards of fabric

Well, apologies to Sweetie, but I'm not working on home decor at a quilt retreat.  Therefore, I need to focus on things I can finish, so that I can count some of the fabric I used in making them in my 100 yard destash.

Ok, wanting to pare down my list to 5 items--I think I've decided on 7.  I'll just sit on those seven choices for the rest of this week and see how that makes me feel.

1.  Block Challenge
Each year at retreat there is a block challenge--your option whether to participate or not.  I have made some fun blocks in the past, and even won one year.  This year the challenge is to make a 12" block with gray and yellow.  I have this long-stashed fat quarter of elephants.  Gonna make at least one block for the challenge.

2.  Wordy Wallhanging
This is a pretty old UFO (2011 was its humble beginning) that has been waiting to be sandwiched and quilted.  Gonna do it--I even have the batting and backing all stored with the top.

3.  Binding for Technicolor Star
This has been quilted and is just waiting for the final step.  Can't wait to pick it up from the long-arm quilter and see it!

4.  Crochet Rug
This project is actually past its deadline (a March birthday), but will definitely provide me with an alternative activity if I get tired of sewing.

5.  Red/Pink/Black baby quilt
Finish the quilting, which is already in progress, and really needs more space for me to spread out.

6.  Barnyard Play Quilt
A long-stalled UFO.  Too many steps to complete this at retreat, but maybe I can get the sky and the grass quilted.  (And just maybe, by the time there are grandchildren in my future, I will have this baby completed.)

7.  Sew Together Bag
A new project!  Bought the pattern from SewDemented on Craftsy, and have a thought to maybe teach its construction at my LQS (I heard that quilters can be hesitant around zippers).  If that is to be, I would need to have constructed it myself, right? 



Seven little projects.  Are they the proper projects for retreat?  If I get hives or can't sleep because these choices are stressing me out, I will know I need to revisit my list.  True?

No comments:

Post a Comment