Friday, April 29, 2016

A Quilt in 17 Days

Seventeen days:
17;
one-seven.

I still can't believe it, but I made a t-shirt quilt, start to finish, in just over two weeks.  Seventeen days, to be exact.  Whew!


This was a charity quilt, commissioned by the senior class of Mills College, to be auctioned off.  Money raised will go towards scholarships for incoming students next fall.

Class of 2016: class color is purple; school colors are blue & gold
My challenge, in volunteering to make the quilt, was to balance the need for speed and efficiency with my inner perfectionist's cries of not good enough.

Walking-foot quilting: minimalist


Things I am most proud of about this quilt:
Best use of a zip-front hoodie in a t-shirt quilt!
  • I finished it!   
  • I used my beginner FMQ skills to quilt the border, and didn't falter or grab for the seam ripper when the stitching there wasn't perfect.
  • My favorite "block" is the one incorporating the zip-front hoodie; I managed to keep a functional zipper, backing the block with a zany people print that gets exposure when the zipper is down.
  • I cut into some long-stashed fat quarters to enhance a few of the odd rectangle shapes.
  • I made two "reference" blocks (adding an M for Mills and the year 2016) with fusible applique; tried a new technique to stabilize them when doing the satin-stitch outlines.
  • I camouflaged an "oops" cut into part of the design by using more applique
  • I used my walking foot quilting skills, and some creativity, to minimally quilt each of the t-shirt blocks without going over the printing.
  • This is the largest quilt I've ever attempted to machine quilt myself.  (Proof that it can be done.)
  • I made a label--which I've done only once before, but know I should do every time.
  • Did I mention that I finished it in only 17 days!?!?
Tissue pattern paper as stabilizer

Stashed fabric enhancement
 So that's what I've been up to in April.  Auction was held: quilt sold for a decent price.  Lots of folks on campus praised my creativity and workmanship (which feels pretty good).  And it was a really good practice to stay on deadline, produce a quality finished item, and minimize the amount of time I spent obsessing over tiny details that no one would ever notice.

Creative camouflage of an "oops"

I don't know how other prolific quilters manage their blistering pace.  (You should see the deferred housework that has built up in the past couple weeks.)


What's your fastest finish?


3 comments:

  1. Love the zipper! Knitting is not the same...baby hat in chunky yarn. 2 hours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the zipper: Sweetie could not keep her hands off the zipper! It was such an attractive element to the quilt, ha!

    ReplyDelete